Tuesday, January 30, 2024

Doubles Strategy: On Which Side Should the Stronger Player Play?

One of the topics that comes up on tennis forums and in coaching videos is this: where should the stronger doubles partner play? One theory recommends putting the stronger player on the ad side because four of the six game ending scores occurs on the ad side: 40-0, 0-40, 40-30 and 30-40. Only two occur on the deuce side: 40-15 and 15-40. So the idea is that the stronger player can either close out the game if his or her team have a lead or can prevent losing the game if they're behind in the game. Having the stronger player on the ad side also puts their overhead and forehand in the middle (if they're right-handed).

Recently I've experimented with playing on the deuce side if I'm the stronger player. I've noticed that one advantage means my team has a better chance of being ahead in the score (15-0, 30-15, 40-0 or 40-30) because I'm more likely to control the point. I have a better backhand return of serve than some of my partners and therefore can handle the opposing server if they consistently serve up the center on the deuce side.

I know this puts the weaker player on the ad side but it also puts their forehand in the center; most players have a stronger forehand than backhand. Having them on the ad side put their backhand on the outer quarter of the court rather than in the middle.

I'm not saying this is a hard-and-fast rule. Sometimes I play the ad court depending on the strengths of my partner and how we match up with the opposing team. For instance, I'll play the ad side when faced with a left-handed player who is able to hit a severe slice serve that breaks to the returner's left and pulls them off the court. Because I've worked hard on having a solid backhand I can handle this serve.

No comments: