Friday, July 22, 2011

Women's World Cup Final: Another Perspective

Scott Carlson thinks the U.S. ladies suffered from overconfidence.
In the end, I think the U.S. team’s overconfidence/borderline cockiness also came back to bite them in the worst way. At first, it was too much swagger, and then when PK’s came around, it was not enough. Three missed PK’s in a row, wow, what can you say? Despite some great individual efforts (Megan Rapinoe is an absolute beast, that girl can play), the team collectively crumbled, and I ‘m not afraid to say it.
I think he has a point based on the quotes he provides in his article. I think the results also showed the resolve and determination of the Japanese team. I'm sure a large part of this will to win was rooted in the Japanese player's desire to give their compatriots at home something to lift their spirits after the earthquake and tsnunami.

No comments: