Sunday, December 9, 2007

Favorite Coaching Books

I probably have 100 coaching books in my library. Out of this collection two stand out: The Complete Guide to Coaching Soccer Systems and Tactics by Jacob Daniel and The Art of Soccer by Mark Catlin.

Daniel's book covers the basics of attacking and defending with good diagrams that show the right and wrong ways of doing things the moves on to explaining the various formations and the variations used by different international teams. Daniel's book concludes with ideas on practices for training different positions within a formation. Each time I read Daniel's book I find myself underlining more and more of the text.

Catlin's The Art of Soccer provides a high level conceptual approach with many photographs of actual games (some indoor and some outdoor) to illustrate these concepts. Although there is significant overlap between the books Catlin's spends no time on formations or sample practices.

If I were forced to keep only two books out of the library I'd keep these two.

No comments: